Maximize the Industry’s Future Talent in Your Firm
Studies show that internships are the insurance brokerage industry’s most successful tool in the recruitment of college students. In light of that, part of The Council Foundation’s mission is to bring fresh, diverse talent into the brokerage sector by way of internships with Council member firms. Students who demonstrate excellence in their internship and the ability and desire to succeed at your firm have the opportunity to be nominated by you for a $5,000 scholarship.
In awarding the scholarships, the selection committee will look for candidates who have the potential to excel as leaders and contributors in the commercial insurance brokerage business sector – and at your firm.
Eligibility to participate in the scholarship program is a donation to The Council Foundation. Member firms have the opportunity to fulfill this requirement during their annual dues renewal – as well as prior to the launch of the scholarship program. If you have questions or want to inquire about your firm’s eligibility status, contact Brittany Lindberg.
The Council has awarded $2.85 million in academic scholarships to 569 students since 2006.
Are you a student interested in interning? We’d love to have you. Our member firms are located all over the globe.
2021 Scholarship Program & Eligibility
Scholarship Recipient Eligibility Criteria:
- Enrolled full-time in a bachelor’s or associates degree program at an accredited education institution
- Entering into junior or senior year
- In good academic standing with university (minimum of a 2.0 GPA)
- Nominated by a Council member firm (we highly encourage your nominees to be students that you are budgeting/planning to hire post- graduation or post internship. The Council Foundation’s goal is to help you attract and recruit the next generation of talent back to your business. Your help in the nomination process is critical to our success!)
- Completion of The Council’s Aspiring Broker Challenge (exact dates/times to be determined, but to be held the week of July 26, 2021)
The Council’s Aspiring Broker Challenge
- The Aspiring Broker Challenge is a virtual business simulation that teaches the business acumen required to make great business decisions, and was specifically written for the insurance brokerage industry. The 2-3 day intensive program will be held the week of July 26, 2021.
Recipient Evaluation Criteria:
- Keen interest in insurance advisory
- Leadership potential
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Academic merit
- Attention to detail
An application will be deemed complete if it includes each of the following:
- Completed on-line Scholarship Application Form, including essay and video question
- Letter of Nomination from member of sponsoring firm, indicating why firm believes candidate should be awarded scholarship
- Copy of current college transcript
Applications missing any of the above documentation will not be considered for a scholarship.
2021 Key Dates
- June 25: Online Application Opens
- Aug.6: Application Submission Deadline
- Aug. 9 – 18: Application Review
- Aug. 26: Council Foundation Scholars Notified
- Aug. 30 – Sept. 3: Council Foundation Scholarship Award Disbursement
Submission of Application:
- Completed applications will be submitted online with all required documents, essay, and video according to the timeline above.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will focus on the following items, not in any specific order, during the review of applications:
- Applicant’s emphasis on the brokerage sector of the insurance business
- Applicant’s knowledge of the role of the insurance broker and the importance of the distribution channel
- Applicant’s overall creativity and effort taken with scholarship application submission
- Applicant’s work experience and culture fit with The Council member firm they employed with
- Applicant’s potential to work in insurance brokerage (more specifically at your firm) immediately following graduation
- Applicant’s enthusiasm regarding a lifetime career in insurance brokerage
- Applicant’s understanding of The Council’s role in the insurance industry
Contact Brittany Thune Lindberg, Vice President, Development, email@example.com or 202.662.4304 with any questions.